There are some common points to these three breeds :
- They are semi long haired cats.
- They have the Himalayan pattern (or Siamese pattern).
What's the Himalayan pattern ?
The Himalayan motive is also known with the name of Siamese pattern. That is that paws, snout (or more exactly the mask), ears and tail are of dark colour while the body remains clear. So, it is the extremities which are dark and the body which is clear. There are several variations of the pattern which go from the black (called seal in this motive) to the blue, by way of the tabby or the silver. (Cf. to see the page on the colours of the Siberian cat for the different colours in Siamese pattern).
That's right that this colour can be with white. Indeed, the Birman cats should necessarily have white "gloves" in four paws and according to a very precise arrangement. It's the same for Ragdoll Mitted and Two-coloured which owes resources of the white to precise places too in his body. Besides, Siberian Neva Masquerade cats can have too white color but wherever! There is not in the standard, the precise definition to be known where should be the white !
Neptune, male Birman cat : blue point
Jardin des Néréides'cattery
Sweet shadow, female Ragdoll : bicolore
Vallée close's cattery
Iwanka, male neva masquerade : blue tabby point
Iz Ermitage's cattery (Germany)
That's right that if the difference is relatively difficult to see between these three cats, we can see some points where difference is :
- Ragdoll is a big cat which the body is long while the Birman cat and the Neva Masquerade cat are half - cobby (of average length). The Neva Masquerade is recognizable because he is wide !
- Ragdoll and the Neva Masquerade cat, tend to turn darker with the age (rather quickly!) in their body while the Birman cat, keeps rather a well marked "pointed" coat.
- The Birman cat's fur should be sweet and silky, the one of Ragdoll should be sweet while the one of the Neva Masquerade cat should be a little rougher, more rustic !
- For the head, the Birman cat has a round forehead, full cheeks, nose at the middle - length ending by a Roman nose. The profile should have a light stop. Eyes are of an intense blue and ovals. For the Ragdoll, no Roman nose, the head is cuneiform of medium size, ears are of medium sizes, the profile shows a slope with a light hollow and eyes are blue dark. Finally, the Neva Masquerade has a triangular head with the rounded off outlines, has small rounded ears, a profile marked by a flat slope, there is at certain subjects an aquiline nose. Eyes are in kernels, placed in oblique and blue.
Finally a difference which can not see itself : Ragdoll arises from a marriage between a Sacred of Burma and a white Persian or a semi long haired cat. Credibly there were the other crossings to obtain current Ragdoll. It's the same for the Sacred of Burma, he arises from an intervention of the human, certainly more ancient than for Ragdoll. So the Birman cat would arise from a " white gloves paws " Siamese and from a Persian or from a semi long haired cat. However, although the previous history are vague for these two breeds, we just know that human crossed some breed cats to obtain the Birman cat and the Ragdoll. But, the Neva Masquerade cat did not arise from a crossing wanted by the man. It is a natural colour (the base of which is certainly of Siamese or colorpoints subjects of "household cats" Cf. the page on the Neva Masquerade to know more about the origins of this cat) but these crossings were made without human intervention. Moreover that's why the Siberian cat is the only breed semi long haired when in fact all the colours are recognized : the traditional and the colorpoints. It gives an impressive sample group of colours! (Cf. Page on the different colors about Siberian cat).
Besides, some colours are not recognized for the Neva Masquerade cat but not accepted to Ragdoll and Birman cat, it's the Chocolate colour and Lilac.
Finally, the colours of Abyssinians / Somali are Fawn, ruddy, Cinnamon are not recognized in these breeds.